Away We Go...Let's Pack!
All of us love to travel but not all of us love to pack! I am one of those who do - love to pack. I have friends who ask me with a hint of incredulity: 'Why do you love to pack?' and 'How do you manage to dress your boys in different outfits everyday while travelling?' This is how ...
Between the Hubs and I, we will iron out the holiday itinerary - usually a few months ahead. In the itinerary, we will note general weather conditions (temperature range and other weather elements), time, places we will visit and mode of transport. This helps me to pack smart and practically.
Next, I will create a list of things to pack for the boys based on the itinerary. I will note in detail (i.e. 3 pairs of jeans, 3 long sleeved tees etc) and in my mind I have a good idea of the exact tee shirt or pair of jeans listed. Most times I create the list on my phone (notes), between school runs or during my coffee breaks. Lists help me because when I get down to packing, I go into execution mode and it speeds things up.
This time we will be away for eight full days, I have prepared nine outfit changes.
- 4 pairs of jeans/pants
- 3 long-sleeved tees
- 3 short-sleeved tees
- 3 pullovers
- 3 pairs of socks
- 2 pairs of shoes/boots
- 3 sets of PJs
- Practice layering - one day the boys will wear the short-sleeved tee over the long-sleeved tee. The next day, we reverse the long-sleeved tee over the short-sleeved tee. Voila...two outfit changes!
- Throw on a pullover and you have another outfit.
- The boys wear each pair of jeans/pants at least twice.
- Most times our accommodation has a washer/dryer which allows me to wash the clothes if the need arises. We wash their socks, underwear and PJs, so we can halve the number of sets packed.
- Switching up hats and shoes also adds a differentiating point to the outfit of the day.
The more you practice, the faster you get. Give it a shot!